We are looking for an Operations Supervisor to join our busy team at the Hull All Weather Terminal, to ensure that all of ABP’s direct operations and agreed customer requirements are met at all times and in line with accepted safety, environmental, working and quality standards.
The successful candidate will have a sound understanding of the key principles of supervising either around ports or a similar operation, where they will have a full appreciation, understanding and working knowledge of what is required.
The key fundamentals below need to be fully understood and applied;
- Port operating systems, processes and controls
- Customer service requirements and meeting service level expectations
- Business and customer related KPl's
- Cost management and controls
- People leadership and management
The candidate we are looking for will have a supply chain, warehousing or logistics background, ideally within a maritime environment, as well as having good Health and Safety knowledge, basic IT literacy and some demonstrateable supervisory/management experience.
- Develop a sound understanding and competence in all aspects of the effective supervision of a team including, but not limited to, efficient work allocation & prioritisation, good management of training & development requirements, enforcing & promoting excellent health & safety practice and responding appropriately to matters of employee welfare & conduct
- Develop sound planning skills for the successful coordination of Incoming goods, storage and dispatch of cargo, to achieve teem objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPl's) as determined by management
- Understand the planning process and supervision requirements of warehouse and vessel activities
- Understand safe and efficient vessel discharge/loading practices
- Understand customer requirements for all cargo handling and the subsequent recording of stock
- Assist management in ensuring a high standard of housekeeping within the team and that all safety checks are conducted as required
- Keep management advised, in a timely manner, of all HR, training and development, safety, technical and operational matters
- Ensure that you fully comply with all Health and Safety policies and embrace the ethos of Beyond Zero and apply all principles
- Work with the operations manager to have a clear understanding of Profit and Expenditure, and the impact all decisions have upon ABP EBITDA
- Keep abreast of changes and updates in port policies and processes
- Support and be involved in ad-hoc project work as required and any other work management deems appropriate to assist in development as a trainee
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrateable qualities suited to leading and supervising others, including very good communication skills and an enthusiastic approach
- Strong organisational skills, and able to plan and structure work effectively in a demanding environment. Have confidence to delegate work as appropriate
- A sound knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
- Sound IT skills to include MS Office (Outlook, Work and Excel)
- A strong desire to learn and develop within a port environment
- A can do attitude and a strong work ethic
- Recognise the importance of providing an excellent level of customer service and work as required, achieving the necessary results
- Curiosity and intellectual rigour
- Full UK Driving license
- Knowledge of port operations, including stevedoring, freight operations and warehousing
- Previous track record of supervisory and management of teams
- NEBOSH certificate
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.
- Date Posted:
- Job Title:
- Operations Supervisor
- Hull All Weather Terminal (Hull AWT)
- Permanent Contract
- Full Time
- Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits