Is there a future for Corozal?
Big names were in the running for Corozal. Credit: Panama Canal Authority
Although APM Terminals, Terminal Link, PSA and Terminal Investment Limited all prequalified to the right to bid for the Panamanian port of Corozal, none finally entered a bid for the concession, which was therefore declared void.
The contract involved the design, construction, development and operation of a container terminal in West Corozal.
Panama Canal Authority, which oversaw the tender process, noted that it originally received interest from seven potential bidders in March 2016, all of whom had been global operators, although three had pursued their initial interest no further.
The lack of offers is said not to have surprised many of those connected to the local maritime sector, who criticised the lack of tax breaks. Other ports established in Panama already benefit from these, noted Rommel Troestsch, president of the Panama Chamber of Commerce.
“All these matters will be looked at soon,” said Roberto Roy, the minister with responsibility for the Canal, when asked whether a second tender would be issued.
The initial request for a new port on Panama’s Pacific coast came from shipping lines that had been forced to wait several days for a slot at the port of Balboa.
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- ACP to re-tender Corozal box terminal
- Canal expansion 'fails to meet expectations'
- Is there a future for Corozal?
- Corozal bid deadline pushed back
- Judges give green light to Corozal
- Panama needs better logistics, not new ports
- Panama Canal issues request for proposals
- Slow burner
- Expanded Panama Canal open for business
- Four operators pre-qualify for Corozal
- Corozal to plug Panama capacity shortfall
- Keeping pace
- Global operators vie for Corozal's hand
- Panama toll charge increase row
- Antwerp and Panama extend collaboration
- OCR project at Panama terminals
- Panama Canal ups its game?
- Panama Canal works hang in the balance
- Talks continue on Panama locks project
- Benefits to a Panama Canal delay?
- Panama picks up the pace
- Green light in sight for Panama’s Corozal hub
- Plugging in
- Panama Canal proposes rate hike
- Cracking down on Canal concerns