48t zero emissions electric truck in testing
Hyster's electric 48t capacity container handling truck will have three green charging options
An electric 48t-capacity container handling truck with zero emissions is being tested in Germany.
Hyster Europe’s truck will be powered by electric motors and three green charging options and is designed to be used at ports.
“The first electric Hyster Big Truck, powered by lithium-ion battery, is at our test facility in Weeze, Germany,” confirmed Jan-Willem van den Brand, director of big truck product strategy & solutions for Hyster.
The test phase is to ensure the truck can achieve similar performance to Hyster diesel-powered, container-handling trucks.
In addition to the large lithium-ion battery pack, which charges for a few hours at a time and requires a 200kW capacity charging station, ports could also opt for a lithium battery pack with wireless opportunity charging in the duty cycle.
Alternatively, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery combined with a hydrogen fuel cell could be used.
Mr van den Brand said: “This truck is being developed in response to the evolving needs of customers, who are increasingly demanding zero-emission trucks to support their environmental goals, while still specifying the right truck for their particular application needs.”
Although Hyster can offer lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries as a power source on many trucks, Li-Ion power will have more limited use in electrifying container handling trucks, said Hyster.
Battery capacity is currently not sufficient for the most intense applications without opportunities to re-charge during the shift, it added.
“This is where fuel cells come in,” explained Mr van den Brand. “These innovative Big Trucks are expected to be able to support continuous operation with operator-friendly re-charge or quick H2 (hydrogen fuel) refill options, delivered through our relationship with Nuvera Fuel Cells.”
Links to related companies and recent articles ...
- 48t zero emissions electric truck in testing
- Hyster offers lift truck solutions
- Hyster highlights new container handling products
- Electrifying big trucks
- Hyster introduces new reachstacker
- Boosting operational efficiencies
- Hyster static weighing solution
- Williams invests in Hyster reachstacker
- Fuel efficient cargo processes
- Hyster adapts forklift to meet challenge
- REACH OR LIFT WHAT'S IT TO BE?
- HIGHER AND HIGHER
- Overcoming the logistics hurdles
- Hyster extends stacker reach
- New features for Hyster reachstackers
- Hyster upgrades heavy-duty forklifts
- Transmission improvements from Hyster
- Reaching alternatives
- Green order success for Hyster
- Hyster reaches six-high
- Clydeport heads for Hyster
- Heavyweights from Hyster
- Shoreham boosts Hyster forklift family
- Clearing the fog
- Hyster's compact series
- Hyster's space saving forklifts
- Extra lift for Hyster
- Hyster unveils 'big' truck designs
- Small steps
- Hyster unveils heavy duty FLT
- New axle promises savings
- Empty-handling argument doesn't stack up
- Container handler for Clydeport
- Free emissions advice
- Purchasing power for drivers
- Barloworld fleet management
- Hyster facility celebrates 60th
- Hyster looks to Asia
- New Hyster telemetry offering
- Product and equipment round-up
- Hyster developments slash fuel costs
- Come rain or shine
- Taking the load
- Hyster promotes fuel savings
- Efficient container handling
- Equipment manufacturers team up
- Heavyweights from Hyster